Sunday, June 8, 2014

Has it already been three years?


Tomorrow is little D's third birthday.  I have been reflecting on how grateful I am for modern medicine looking back on his difficult birth.  Without modern medicine, I am sure one or both of us would have died.  His apgar score at birth was a three.  I remember listening for his first cry and not hearing one. I was in pretty bad shape myself and in and out of consciousness. I was one hemoglobin point away from getting a blood transfusion.  The doctors were seriously considering one. 
  I remember not seeing him for the first time until hours later in the recovery room.  When I saw him, he was absolutely beautiful.  The nurses had nicknamed him "little Maximus" because he weighed nine pounds and was long and gangly.

 And now those baby days are really over. It's official.  How he has grown these last three years!  He is still long and gangly and he's also so strong.  He can plank off of the walls and the chairs like it is a piece of cake.  He has almost perfected doing a handstand.  He is my lover of animals and water and dirt. His favorite animals are elephants and aligators. His favorite song is "Frozen Heart" from the movie Frozen.  He is a daddy's boy through and through.  

 His best friend is his big brother.  
Since his last birthday he has learned so much.  He has learned to get along with his brother and other kids using his words.  He has learned his colors and shapes, opposites, and how to share.  We can't wait to celebrate three years of life with this wonderful little fellow.  We are so glad he is in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment