Saturday, July 5, 2014

Westward HO


Last week, I was so excited to be able to go to a reunion with my brother and his wife, hosted by my grandparents who live in Arizona.   My brother is a marine who is currently serving in Japan. It has been two years since we have seen them.  My mother and one of my sisters was able to come as well.   My sweet husband watched the kids for five days so I could take this trip.

The flight was relaxing from start to finish (thanks to having a direct flight both ways).  On the way to Phoenix Sky Harbor, I had plenty of time to browse at the airport bookstore.  I selected a nice classic western to read on the four hour flight and just enjoyed the flight.  That night, myself my mother and my sister arrived in Phoenix.  The next day, we met my brother and his wife at the airport.  It was so good to see them walk down the ramp.

The next several days were just beautiful and relaxing.   The heat in the desert felt like a beautiful warm hug.    It was between 100-110 degrees, but as the cliche goes, "it's a dry heat!"  One morning, we departed at six a.m. (the sun was risen) to climb Piestewa Peak.  This has been a tradition that goes far back into our childhoods.

 The only picture I have of Jason climbing because he is always so much faster than the rest of us.
I did not make it to the top this time.  But that's ok.  The view was still pretty awesome.   

There was plenty of time spent in the pool cooling off each day.  It was so nice to wade into the water and not have the initial "cold" shock.  It made me remember how much I love swimming.  
 Another day, on Jason's request, we went to ABC Bistro (Amy's Bakery) from the show Kitchen Nightmares.  Jason wanted to go antagonize Amy.  Mom said she would go and order coffee and desert.  Feeling a little weird about it, a group of us went.  There was no need to worry about Jason antagonizing Amy and getting thrown out  though.  This sign was posted on the door:
Instead, we went next door to a juicing shop called Grab a Green.  I had never heard of this place before.  It was really impressive. Everything was 100% organic and juiced in front of you.  They had an wide menu selection and pretty much everything in the store looked and smelled amazing.  Here is a link to their store:  http://grabbagreen.com/.
  I got a breakfast smoothie and it was extremely delicious.  A cup was $7.00, however, the cup was very large and everything was fresh.  I would certainly go again! 
My grandpa took us out for dinner several times and that was a special treat as well.  
It was nice to play dress-up and go out to eat at a fancy Italian restaurant.  The food was amazing.  My mouth is watering just remembering. 

On the last morning of our visit before leaving for the airport, I went for a walk down a little desert trail with my sister. 
 We enjoyed the beauty of Arizona (as well as the rising heat).
 I played with my camera some.
And I got a clear shot of Camelback mountain. 
Then we said our goodbyes and went our seperate ways. 

On the flight back, I enjoyed a most beautiful sunset in the air. 


It was such a restful and enjoyable trip.  I am so glad to have seen Jason and Becky again.  It will be at least another year before they are able to move home.   Thank you to my Grandpa and Grandma who hosted this little reunion.   I feel refreshed and ready (well ok, "ready" is sort of arguable) to go back to cleaning the house, cooking meals and nurturing two sweet little boys.  

No comments:

Post a Comment