Saturday, January 14, 2012

Doctor Visit

Yesterday before our slumber party started, both Ryan and Dylan had their well-checks at the doctor.  While driving there in blowing snow I had only one thing on my mind: SHOTS.  I could see in my minds eye two sad, crying, sore little ones on the way home and I was dreading it! 

Ryan only qualified for the flu shot.  The "kind" nurses came in while Ryan  read a Thomas the Train book in a chair.  They asked him if he wanted to read his book up on the big table.  Without looking up he responded, "No thanks." So nonchalant.  But they were persistent and got him up on the table and propped his head up with a pillow like a little raja.  He was loving all the attention.  They chatted with him about the characters in the  book as he reclined, so innocent and unsuspecting.  

He was kindof surprised when they pulled his pants down to expose his thighs but returned to his book.  Then they stuck him.  He yelled, "OWWWW," and looked at them like they had grown two heads.  Then he looked down.  But that nurse was so fast she had already put a bright toy story band-aid on the spot.  He was quite proud of his band-aid.  He didn't want to pull his pants back up because he was admiring it.  He took me completely by surprise at how well he handled this shot! He did not cry even once.

Dylan was unfortunately just as I suspected. I was a little behind on his immunizations because I missed the memo that babies are seen at 4 months.  So the poor little guy had four immunizations all at once yesterday.  Just like I thought, he cried and cried and cried.  Poor little guy! Last night he had a small reaction to his shots and he ran a low grade fever all day today and was fussy.  

He did not feel like doing the plank, or playing or cooing.  All I did most of the day was hold him and rock him.  But it was a perfectly wonderful thing to do on a snowy cold Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment