Wednesday, March 28, 2012

When they're sick

Dylan started to feel a little warm early this week.  He was fussier than normal and started waking up a lot during the night.  I wondered if he was getting ready to cut his second top tooth.  This morning he woke up with a fever of 102 degrees when taken under the arm (so add a degree).   He was fussy and clingy.  All he wanted was his mama and he wanted to be snuggled and rocked.  

So, today I took off of work.  We went to the doctor, who diagnosed him with a virus.  Not much to do in that event, except keep the fever at bay with tylenol, push the fluids and wait it out.  

By the time we got home, his fever was 103 degrees when taken under the arm--oy! I gave him tylenol and put a cool, damp cloth on his forehead, which he did not even bother to remove. Now, that says a lot!  And we rocked, and rocked and rocked.
Today's time with him has been so precious, even though he is sick, I love taking care of him.  It reminded of one of my favorite poems, Song for a Fifth Child by Ruth Hulbert Hamilton: 

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.


1 comment:

  1. poor baby. I hope he feels better soon. But in the meantime enjoy the sweet snuggles!

    ReplyDelete