Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pumpkins


Last November, when our Halloween pumpkins were beginning to get mushy and gross, I tossed them in the backyard.  I did not want to deal with them. They had served their purpose and  they were gross and it was cold outside and I figured they would just decompose over the winter and my problem would be pretty much solved.

I did not think about them again until I noticed a funny looking weed growing near the flower bed this summer.  I looked a little more carefully and noticed the leaves looked just like pumpkin plant leaves.  I was pretty pleased that with literally no work at all, we had a pumpkin vine growing in our backyard.

All summer long it has been flowering.  I haven't even watered it.  Not once. But I was not sure if it would produce pumpkins or not.  But today, Ryan's sharp eyes found a budding pumpkin.
I'm already envisioning walking to the backyard in about a month, picking our pumpkins, carving them and making pumpkin pie.  Who knew pumpkins were so amazingly easy to grow??!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment