Friday, December 2, 2011

Shhhh......It's a secret.....

Ryan's  birthday is coming up.  He will be three.  As a big three year old, I am planning to throw him an official birthday party this year, complete with invitations and games.   Since he has a winter birthday, I thought we could do a winter theme.  

In preparation for his party, I had a little "craft" for us to do today.  We painted fish.   I found a template of a fish online.  I was hoping to get lots of different types, but ran out of ink  I used neon tempra paint.

Ryan, however, used black watercolor. 

Then he told me his fish was hiding.
We didn't need six fish anyway.  We could just use my five.  We decorated the fish with glitter.  Then I laminated them and glued magnets on the body.  It was just Elmers glue, so I did end up needing to tape the magnets in place as well, but they still "stuck" just fine.

The next part I did while Ryian was sleeping.  For his party we will go "ice fishing."  So now that we have our fish, I needed to make an "ice pond.
I found a long shallow tupperware at Big Lots (which I completely plan to re-use at some point for something else) and a cheap string of about 50 blue lights at Michaels Craft Store ( $4.00).
Other materials used included: blue cellophane, blue pipecleaner, tin foil, cardboard.

First, I cut the cut the cardboard to fit inside the tupperware.  I wrapped the cardboard in tinfoil and taped the string of lights on top with the cord hanging outside so it could be plugged in to an outlet.  Then I put the blue cellophane paper on top to create the bottom of the "pond."

Then I worked on the tupperware lid.  I wrapped it in tinfoil, cut out a circle of cellophane and lined it with pipecleaner.   Here is a side view:

Ta-da.  An ice fishing pond.  And the best part is the fishing poles and fish can stay inside when it's not in use.

I have some "fluff" downstairs for snow to surround the pond on the day of the party.  And of course.....there is more to come.  I think I may be more excited than Ryan.....

No comments:

Post a Comment