Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mountain Climbing

 One morning, I sent Ryan and Josh out with my Uncle one morning to climb Squaw Peak so I could get some scanning done.  A little bit later, I received this picture with the following message:
"Hungry? Maybe. Scared? Maybe. Tired? Maybe.  Grumpy? Absolutely."
I had a good chuckle over it.  Two days later, I was happy with the scanning I had done and was not about to miss out on mountain climbing and we decided to go again.  We decided on a smaller peak that would be more  Ryan's "speed," called North Mountain. 
When we broke the news to him that we were mountain climbing again, he was thrilled a giant grouch.
Unfortunately, by the time we got to our destination, in addition to bringing sourpuss Ryan, my body had registered the fact that it had not had any coffee that morning.  The peak looked kinda daunting.   I strapped a really fat heavy Dylan into the baby carrier and it was not long before I realized this was a really bad idea.  By not long, I literally mean I walked a few feet on rocky flat terrain at the foot of the mountain and realized the last six years since I've been climbing last, have not been kind to me.
My poor husband was the only adult there.  He took Dylan from me and encouraged us as we climbed.  Ryan cried. I whined.   Josh came up with an annoying positive chant.  Somehow we kept going.
We didn't quite reach the top.  We did get about halfway up. 
 Someone was just really not having fun. Climbing a mountain can be really hard. 
 He perked up on the way down.
 By  the time we got to the parking lot, he had found a stick and was having fun poking at some rocks and making dust clouds.  Maybe when he's older we'll try this again...and I'll be sure to have drank some coffee before we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment