Friday, February 3, 2012

My Grandparents

I have been blessed to have two sets of wonderful, supportive, sweet grandparents.  Both sets of grandparents have been "there" for us growing up.  They have come to birthdays and graduations, even though we lived far away often.   They never forgot a birthday and always send Christmas money.  Most importantly, both have spent quality time with us. Now both sets are in their 80's and I really feel like time is moving too fast. I feel a burden to enjoy them as much as possible while they are still around.  I have not seen my Grandparents on my father's side since my brother's wedding three years ago.  I was pregnant with Ryan at the time.  They had never met either Ryan or Dylan.  Recently, my Grandma has had more trouble with her memory, so it was past due time to visit. 

One of my favorite memories of them growing up was the morning routine. My grandparents would get up before dawn and sit on their covered porch sipping coffee and reading the paper while the sun would dawn behind them, illuminating palm trees.  I would always make myself wake up no matter how early to enjoy this time with them.  Grandma would make me chocolate milk when it was warm and hot chocolate if it was cool, and I would read the comic section.  Then, when the lazier family members were up, we would always have a large breakfast---sausage or bacon, toast, eggs, orange juice AND milk, and some sort of fruit.  Often oranges or grapefruit.  It was such a peaceful way to start the day. 

When we arrived, even though Grandma does not cook much anymore, Grandpa made sure we continued to have breakfast in this way. 

Our visit was wonderful.  I learned so much about my grandparents during their childhood and what it was like growing up for them.  I also learned a lot about our family history.  While we visited I scanned old pictures into the computer and wrote down some of the stories Grandma knew about these people who are my ancestors.  My Grandma is a member of Daughters of the Revolution and our family history is interesting and rich. 

It is no wonder my Grandma was my hero when I was small.  She is so good with kids! I had a fantastic time just watching her play with her great-grandchildren. 
She played with Dylan, holding him and cooing at him, and bouncing him on her knee.
He loved it!

As for Ryan, she took flashlights and they went around the house hunting for cats (they have five) in small places.  All were scared of us except, one, who we think grew up around children.  This cat slept by Ryan's feet every night.  It was a nostalgic feeling to watching Ryan and Grandma play with some special knick-naks that always caught my attention as a child.  They were little oriental, beautifully painted, metal jars, containers and tea sets.  The last night of our visit, we ate out at a fancy Itallian restaurant.  Ryan had missed his nap that day and was a crab.  He refused to eat his dinner.  I was about to bring justice, but Grandma just ordered him a bowl of ice-cream.  Which he ate and then fell asleep in my lap. 

It seems like our visit went way too quickly.  We were gone nine days but I wish we had more time.  Seize every possible moment to be with your loved ones.  Time passes too quickly and you will never regret time spent this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment