Sunday, December 22, 2013

Store Adventures

I will always treasure the times my husband accompanies me to the grocery store.  Why? Because he makes what is usually a dull chore fun.

For example, when I was about eight months pregnant with baby number two, he was hoisting a heavy frozen ham out of the meat bin and turned around to put it in the cart, only to realize I was gone...with the cart.  He searched through half the store carrying a giant frozen ham before he found me.  It was a total pregnancy brain moment. I had had the sudden, immediate need to go find cereal and just...left.  In retrobution, he asked me to get the milk (two gallons) and then stayed just two steps out of my reach.

Conversely, I enjoy setting Sams Club sales-men on him.  Whenever the direct TV guy or the computer sales guy tries to engage me, I just point to my clueless husband who is usually a few steps behind me and sweetly tell them, "That's the guy you want to talk to.....he makes all those decisions." And walk away free as a bird.  Then I hide in some aisle and gigle until he catches up and finds me.  Then I look penitent.

Then there was today.  We did our Christmas meal shopping together.  Of the two of us, he is the better cook, because he actually enjoys cooking.  He's subcribed to no less than five professional cooking video blogs on youtube. The other day he even confessed he wishes he had been a chef (that's when you know it's serious) I have high ambitions for myself to "someday" enjoy cooking and to "someday" be good at cooking.  But that day is not today.  My primary criteria for cooking is as follows:

1. Does it contain a vegetable and a fruit?
2. Does it make the absolute minimal mess possible?
3. Can I make it in three steps or less?
4. Do I have to babysit it?

Josh is never willing to sacrifice a good succulent Christmas dinner so I can practice my cooking skills (and Christmas dinner is taxing for me because it violates just about all of my cooking criteria).  So when he put some green stuff in the cart and he said it was a "poultry bouquet" I couldn't help but giggle.  It sounded so serious. Like something a master chef would use.  Then we surved the turkey situation.  I was surprised to see they had some ducks for sale.  "You know, we could mix it up and make duck instead...I love duck!" But he was concerned about that because he didn't have a duck recipe.  Then we saw cornish hens.  I had no idea cornish hens still existed as food in todays modern world. It was like seeing something out of an old old book. So I got excited about that, even though they were awfully small.  Finally, we saw a "tender young goose." That sounded so traditional it tickled my fancy again.  Josh even picked it up.  He was seriously considering buying the goose! He had that thought line wrinkling his forehead as he examined it and considered it.  Then we both saw the price. Fifty-five dollars....for a small goose.  NO thanks!

SO we left with our turkey and turkey boquet, potatoes, corn and a few other things.  Another fun adventure at the store over and done with.



No comments:

Post a Comment