Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Awkward Moments at the Gym

Have you ever reached that point where you wanted to try something new and different? Vary your workout routine just a smidge?
When I got pregnant with Dylan, I was way too sick to work out.  Then after he was born, I had to rest and recover.  Last week I decided it was high time our family membership was used again.
I picked up a current schedule of classes and times for childcare.
I missed the class I was aiming for yesterday due to Ryan's difficulty calming down for the childcare workers.  Today, the only available class at the time between Dylan's feedings was called "Dance your *!!**!! Off"  I normally stay away from any and all things dance related for reasons below and previous bad experiences I may later relate.
I decided to try it. As I detail the experience, I can only remember I brought it on myself....

9:15--Wait nervously for people to show up...am I in the right place?
9:16- I AM in the right place. A nice elderly lady tells me it's a good workout and we'll be sweating by the end and the instructor plays a lot of wedding music.  I'm thinking...Bach? Pachabel? The Chicken Dance?
9:18- More people show up.  The 20 somethings in the room are small islands in the sea of the senior citizens in attendance. (This should have been my second cue to get the H-E-double hockeysticks out of there). The instructor bounces in with the energy level of Richard Simmons and starts us stepping side to side. Ugh. I line up in the very last row and try to line up with the pole.  I already know I'm awkward at this kindof stuff.  I don't need to see it.
9:20-Oh goody.  We're flapping around the room serenaded by "Hey Mickey" It's kindof comical really, doing the arm flap stretchy things with a semi-grape vine step with some clapping thrown in for good measure.
9:25- Wow this instructor sure has a lot of energy.  She's moving her body in ways that don't seem possible complete with shoulder shimmies.  I get a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  I am managing to effectively appear to be having a seizure.
9:30- Holy horror. She's playing "I Like Big Butts"???!! ......complete with demi squats.  This will always hold a special place in my heart as I watch at least 20 senior citizens "shaking it."
9:35-I think she's showing us how to mosh? Not a small feat given the current population.
9:40-Ah yes, the electric slide.  Perhaps this is what was meant by wedding music.  The senior citizens in the room are doing a great job with this.  Maybe they learned how to dance in school or have been to a lot more weddings than I have been to....'cuz I really suck at this.  I do my best not to whirl into someone else as we turn to the four corners of the world.
9:45-She said "This is IT"...Hurray!
9:50- Oh, she only meant that SONG was over. I feel so lied to. Say what? Get out the bands of torture? Oh my....oh my ....
As the song "Superfreak" blares away, me, three other twenty-somethings and a bunch of senior citizens complete pelvic thrusts, some body contortion that looks like I should be hoola-hooping, and tricep pulls using bands.  Mmmm....k. Wayyy out of my comfort zone here.
9:55-Thank you sweet God we're finally cooling down.  I think I could cry with relief.
10:00 It's over!

Did I get a good work out? Oh yes.  Was it painful? Oh yes.  In more ways than one.  And don't get me wrong, I am NOT knocking the senior citizens who were participating.  I'm sure they looked way better than I did out there.  But, let's just face it, when God was handing out the "dancing" genes, he skipped me.  Will I ever try another dancing class, even though I find it incredibly painful and awkward? Probably. 

2 comments:

  1. Bahaha this is the best post EVER! You are way more brave than I. I did a couple of aerobic workouts at the gym with my sis way back in the day, and I swore never again. I was not born with moves, rhythm, beat, or any ability to function in those classes.

    I no longer have a gym membership, but I have been working out with netflix. There are a lot of dance workouts on there I've been trying, but only because I'm in the sanctuary of my bedroom, with the door SHUT, and I usually shut the door to the bathroom too so that I don't accidently catch a glimpse of myself getting "my groove on"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Writing about it was the only way to ease my pain. The scenario you describe is so familiar! I would love to take a real dance class sometime--ballroom, latin...and sometimes the name of the classes at the Y make me think they might actually be "dance" classes....I get suckered in every time. ha!

    ReplyDelete