Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Sister

 When I was six years old, on September 12, 1989, a really neat thing happened.  I got a little sister.   It was one of the best things that has  happened in my life.   I remember right after she was born and my dad took my brother and I to meet her for the first time in the hospital. I thought I had never seen anything so cute.   She was so tiny. And very bruised.  All her fingernails were purple and she had a huge purple bruise on her head.  The reason? She had tried to enter the world with her arm wrapped around her head.  The nurses said she was "waving hi" on entry. 
The  day she got to come home from the hospital, I made a huge banner welcoming her home.  
She was a big deal in my world. 

She still is.  In fact, she is one of the people I respect the most.  She is lively, energetic, funny and beautiful.  
 
...and one of the strongest, bravest people I know.  My sister married a navy boy.  Long absences come with the territory.  When she was pregnant with her first (and so far, only) child, her husband was scheduled for a six month deployment before the baby was due.  We all worried for her.  I'm sure she was worried, but Havilah put on a brave face and cheerfully tried EVERY possible thing that could naturally induce birth.  Including playing tennis at 9 months pregnant.  And she succeeded.  Two days before the scheduled deployment, my sweet nephew was born.  And then the heartbreaking goodbye for six months. 

Since then, Havilah has weathered two more long deployments.  Often this means she is raising my nephew as a single mom for stretches of time.  She held down a full time job during these times and is also a part time college student.  My sister is so strong. 
And yesterday was her birthday.  And she spent it alone. So, Havilah, for your birthday, I can only say I miss you SO MUCH! I wish we lived closer together.   And we appreciate the sacrifice you and Noah and Evan make--the sacrifice of being together for many special and daily occasions/events--so Evan can serve our country and protect our freedoms.  I think you are one of the bravest, sweetest, most beautiful people I know.  Happy Happy birthday.  The day you were born, the world gained a great gift.  

No comments:

Post a Comment