Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thumbsucking Continued...

About a month ago, I had refreshed my memory on some techniques to break thumb-sucking.   I consulted with Josh about the "plan" in our mommy-daddy huddle that night and then the next day we put our plan into action.

I had read that for toddlers, if they are not aware of their thumb-sucking it is best not to bring attention to it.  Rather, distract the child when you notice them doing it.  Have them clap their hands, sing a song, have them hold something for you or bring something to you. ANYTHING, but distract, distract, distract. 

This plan didn't last long.  I determined he was very aware he was thumb-sucking.   Also, it was really hard not to bring attention to it.  Especially when the check-out lady at the grocery store and other such strangers would ask him if his thumb tasted like chocolate.  To which he looked interested and happy and gave it a thoughtful suck before replying "yes." I would then give them the "look"--the one that said "thanks a lot, you just made my job HARDER."

So we scrapped that plan and tried method number two: Comparing him to a favorite character out of the tv or book.  His favorite bible story is the one about Baby Moses.  So we would say, "baby Moses doesn't suck his thumb.  Don't you want to be like baby moses?" But he didn't because now he's pretty sure his thumb tastes like chocolate.  And that is far more motivating than being like baby Moses whose thumbs don't taste like chocolate.

Lastly we tried the "Big Boy" approach.  I'd tell him he is SUCH a big boy and tell him all the cool things he gets to do as a big boy.  And then I'd talk about how thumb-sucking is for little boys like baby Dylan (since Dylan has decided to be a thumb-sucker too.)  He didn't care.  He'd just stare at me and smile and run away with his thumb stuck in his mouth.

So, I had started just plucking his thumb out of his mouth without saying a word when I noticed him sucking his thumb.  So far, he's let me do that without a fuss. Until last night during story time.
I plucked his thumb out of his mouth and he resisted.  Then he gave me a determined, fiery look that said, "I am determined to keep this thumb in my mouth and will continue to do so no matter how many times you try to take it out."  I opened my mouth to give him the "big boy" speech.  But instead these words escaped....

"Ryan do you want some caaandy?"

I was desperately resorting to good old fashioned bribery.

He looked interested and nodded.

"Oookay.  If you try REALLLY REALLLLY hard not to suck your thumb I will give you candy when we are done reading."

And you know what?  He tried. so. hard.  He did not put his thumb in his mouth ONCE after that.  And when we were done I gave him candy.   He much preferred real chocolate to fake "thumb" chocolate.

We're still trying it again today.   Who would have thought? Good old fashioned bribery.  Whatever works folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment