Monday, September 19, 2011

Swappin' Meals

So, because we could all use some more meal ideas, and after a friend offered to share her meal plan in exchange for some of our meal favorites, this post is dedicated to some of our typical dinners. 

I want to take a moment to add that most of our meals include meat.  When I was in college I went through a semi meatless period of life. Not because I don't like it, but because my roommate was basically the healthiest person on the planet and is responsible for teaching me to read food labels, enjoy soy milk, try tofu, et cetera. Thanks to her I learned ramen noodle soup, iceberg lettuce, and anything dehydrated in a box is pretty much nutritionally devoid.  She also taught me canned vegetables were so packed in sodium they basically weren't healthy anymore.  So now I always buy my vegetables fresh or frozen.  The woman even ate seaweed wraps. I drew the line at those.  At any rate, she taught me other sources of protein besides  meat.  But that was before I married Josh.  Having a meat-less meal is heresy to him.  I have tried to sneak some things by him...but it never works.   If it doesn't have meat, he knows and then I'm stuck with  a lot more leftovers than I can eat. And I have a one week limit to any food I make.  In my mind all food is inedible after a week's worth of time.  So. not. worth it.  So all our meals have some sort of meat in them.

Monday:  Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk. Serve with rice.
1 chicken, cut into chunks
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. curry powder
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 small zucchini,  chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped  ( I usually just use baby carrots)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. olive oil
3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup coconut milk
3 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a skillet and fry onion and garlic for 1 minute. Then add the chicken and continue cooking for 3 minutes. Add all the spices and stir together well. Add the potatoes, zucchini and carrots. Let cook until tender. Add the remaining ingredients.

Tuesday:  Broccoli, Rice, Chicken Casserole

Ingredients

  • 2 cups uncooked instant rice 
  • 3 chicken breasts cut into pieces and cooked in a skillet.
  • 2 cans  cream of chicken soup
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
  • 1 small white onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cups shredded cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese
  • panko or breadcrumbs

Directions

1.        Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.        In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Mix in the instant rice, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
3.        In a 9x13 inch baking dish, mix the prepared rice, chicken,  cream of chicken soup, butter, milk, broccoli, onion, and  cheese.  Sprinkle some cheese and breadcrumbs(panko) over the top.
4.        Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is melted. 
Wednesday: Crock-pot BBQ chicken

BBQ Drumsticks in the Crockpot
24 sm. chicken drumsticks, or what's needed
Italian seasoning (enough to taste)
1/2 c. Kikkoman Lite Teriyaki Sauce
1/2 c. barbecue sauce
1/2 c. water
Place chicken drumsticks in crock-pot. Season with Italian seasoning. Pour 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce over chicken and cook for 2 hours on low heat. When time is up, then add the barbecue sauce by mixing the barbecue sauce and water together. Pour over drumsticks. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 more hours. Serve chicken and sauce over rice or noodles.

 Thursday: Homemade pizza

*Betty Crocker Pizza Crust in a bag. according to directions.
*Add pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.  I also add some garlic powder and parmasian cheese.
*  Add toppings.  We like green pepper, sausage, chopped red onion, and pepperoni. 
*Bake for about 10-15 minutes.

Serve with side salad.  (Romaine, shredded carrots, cucumber, dressing, crutons) 
If we are splurging I'll make breadsticks from a can. 

Friday: By this time of the week I'm usually tired of making food and hope there are leftovers available.  Usually there are. 

Saturday: Baked potato buffett

Wash some potatoes and bake at 400 degrees for about an hour or so. 
Cook some bacon and crumble
Set out shredded cheddar, sour cream, butter, heat up some broccoli
Let everyone add toppings to their potato and enjoy. 


 Sunday: Pot Roast
3-5 lbs. roast
Salt, pepper, season all to taste
Sliced onions in rings
Can of cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1-2 soup cans of water
4-5 diced potatoes
Diced carrots
Put roast in slow cooker with seasonings. Mix cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, water, and onions. Add potatoes and carrots. Season to taste. Pour over roast. Cook in slow cooker for 8 hours. Easy and delicious.

 So there they are.   I usually try to pick some sort of frozen veggie to go with what I make especially if it doesn't have veggies in it.  I will also serve fresh or canned fruit.  I try to pick canned fruits that are in light syrup if they have to be canned. I usually try to pick meals that take the least amount of time and effort to prepare.  After work, making food is about the last thing I want to do.  So whatever I make has to be fast and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment