Sunday, September 18, 2011

When Grocery Shopping Sucks

Sometimes, going to the grocery store with a two year old and a three month old is easy as pie.  Sometimes, it is not.

Today it was not.

First of all, Ryan told me about ten times on the way to the store that he wanted a "green car" which meant he wanted the "car" shopping carts.  I told him maybe next time.  It's not that I really care if he has a green car cart or not, it's just that  for some reason those carts are not infant-seat friendly and poor Dylan is tipped so far backwards  he looks kinda red in the face from all the blood pouring to his head.

Ryan took it pretty well.  He did not fuss or complain.  But about three minutes into the store, he had to pee. This was demonstrated by yelling " I gotta pee!" and smacking his crotch.  Of course by this point, I had several items in the cart.  And for some mysterious reason, Shop'n Save put their bathrooms up two flights of stairs.  The idea of taking the babyseat, leaving the cart and walking up two flights of stairs was not appealing. I asked if he could hold it.  He said he could. 

Then about five minutes later the crotch slapping started again.  SO I said if he really needed to go, I would take him.  But he said no, he didn't need to go anymore. 

It wasn't until we were fifth in line at the deli counter with five people behind us that he started to cry because he just couldn't take it anymore.  I was in the middle of pleading with him that as soon as we were done at the deli counter I would take him, that the baby woke up and started to wail for no apparent reason.

And so I abandoned the cart. Grabbed the baby and we ran through the store up those flights of stairs and into the women's restroom.  And Ryan peed for about three minutes straight.  Then he announced he had pooped on the seat for all the other bathroom patrons to hear.  He had not in fact pooped on the seat.  He had just splattered a little.   So we cleaned it up. Then we marched down the stairs and tried to locate our cart. We were just in time to claim it from some dutiful cart boy who was wheeling it away.

Sometimes, grocery shopping just sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment